Monday, October 11, 2010

Facebook Inbox-ing vs. Email

Facebook has infiltrated so many people's lives. It has made it easier to communicate in this technology filled world. One specific part of Facebook seems to be a substitute for email these days. Before the days of Facebook, I used to send out many emails, for personal reasons, to keep in touch with family back in India when I lived in Indonesia and to contact teachers and other professionals. After I joined Facebook, I noticed a significant decline in my use of email to contact friends and family.

Most of the time my family back home would be enraged in my lack of communication with them but my response would be "just join Facebook". For some reason I avoided the use of email because it seemed more of a hassle than to simply click the inbox button on Facebook (even though the procedure was the same, I still had to choose a recipient, subject and type out the message). The effort level would have been the same regardless of using Facebook or email but for some reason I had developed some sort of mental block and because 99% of the people I wanted to stay in contact with were on Facebook, it was a mental hassle to long into a different website to contact a select few other people.

Media has infiltrated our lives, much like the hypodermic model which states that media has been injected into our bloodstream, it is also the case that we have been given a bigger dose of certain types of media than others. In the case of Facebook, I think we have been given quite a large dose. The procedure for writing a Facebook message and an email is exactly the same, search for the recipient, type a subject and type the message, but I would much rather send it on Facebook than use my email.

No comments:

Post a Comment